Solve Life’s Puzzles

Create A Living Will To Protect Your Rights And Wishes In most cases, you have full control over your own medical care. But when you’re no longer able to express your own wishes, the situation can become very unclear.

Create a Living Will Colorado to Protect Your Rights and Wishes

When you’re no longer able to express your wishes, the situation can become hard. But you can create a living will Colorado to protect your wishes.


What Is a Living Will


In most cases, you have full control over your own medical care. But when you’re no longer able to express your own wishes, the situation can become very unclear. A living will, also called an advanced directive, lets you clearly state your wishes for end-of-life medical care. 

However, a living will is not the only legal document containing guidelines for health care providers. In Colorado, advance directives can also include a medical durable power of attorney and a CRP directive. While a living will contains information about what type of life-sustaining procedures you want, CRP directive tells them whether you want to be resuscitated if your heart stops working. 

In addition, a medical durable power of attorney names an individual to make medical decisions for you if you can’t speak for yourself.

Let an experienced estate attorney at Duncan Legal, help you create your living will today. 

Understand The Facts About Your Colorado Living Will

Living wills can provide direction and reduce ambiguity during a difficult time, by spelling out your wishes on the use of feeding tubes, resuscitation, and other life-prolonging procedures. In order to understand more about estate planning, consider these facts:

  • Living will rules vary from state to state. 
  • Living wills must be legal documents, not simply verbal or even written directives. 
  • You can change your living will at any time. 
  • You can draft your living will once you turn 18.

Colorado living will is also called the Declaration as to Medical Treatment. It’s important to understand that it is not the same as a regular will or a living trust, despite the similar names. A living will provide instructions on medical treatment only.

The principal is the person making a living will. On the other hand, the person obtaining permission to carry out the principal’s wishes is known as the agent. But, the principal has to be mentally competent when signing the living will in order for the document to be considered valid. If that is not the case, a court-appointed conservatorship might be necessary. In these circumstances, reaching out to a competent estate planning lawyer may be a good idea.

Duncan Legal is located in Centennial, Colorado, and practices estate planning laws and procedures. As an estate planning attorney, I can help you navigate the living will process.


Important Facts on Living Wills


Bear in mind that the living will doesn’t go into effect until 48 hours after two different doctors or medical providers agree in writing that a patient is in a persistent vegetative state, can’t speak for themselves, and has a terminal condition.

Although an attorney is not needed when completing a living will, two witnesses are. They can’t be your healthcare providers, employees, or anyone who stands to inherit property from you. But, other patients at the healthcare facility you are receiving care can be witnesses, provided they are mentally competent and over 18.


How Can an Attorney Help?


Making a Living Will is typically straightforward, but that doesn’t mean an attorney can’t help. For example, you may need legal advice in a specific situation.

Also, if you think healthcare providers are not following your principal’s living will, you can file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE). You may benefit from the help of an experienced attorney.

I will can walk you through the state-specific rules concerning your living will and help you define your wishes. Contact Duncan Legal, by calling 303-222-7021 today or emailing me to speak with an experienced estate planning attorney.

shutterstock min

Flat-fee options are available for wills, trusts and probate:

(720) 263-0706